TextExpander has long used Dropbox to synchronise snippets, but with the advent of the latest version (v6 on Mac), the snippets are now synchronised by a proprietary synchronisation service. Thoughts about the move to a software as a service (SaaS) model aside this then poses the question how can you access your snippets for the purposes of independent backup or sharing with users on earlier TextExpander versions?
Welcome to Thought Asylum a place for me to share my thoughts, ideas and experiences with the rest of the world. I try to post reasonably regularly and if you like the content consider subscribing to the site feeds. If you're trying to find something specific try the search, otherwise just have a browse.
Entries in Scripting (17)
Club MacStories is a membership value add option provided by the rather popular MacStories.net web site. I'm a Club MacStories member and as such receive the weekly newsletter which contains lots of additional Apple related material and articles. In last week's newsletter (issue 24) one of the user questions was around automatically attaching and detaching DMGs and whilst a partial solution was provided, the response also invited readers to round it out to complete the last part. I figured I'd give it a go and share what I came up with.
Recently I was carrying out a bit of house keeping on my work laptop's hard drive. I have a folder in Windows that contains daily folders of temp files and every so often I compress them and archive them off to free up some space. Usually it just takes me a few minutes to run through the folders and compress them into archive files. Unfortunately over the past year I'd not gotten around to doing it so I had rather a lot of folders to archive and I decided to quickly put together a little script to help me.
Recently I was updating a rather complex DOS batch file that we track the changes on. Each time we update it, we update a comment in the batch file for the version number. Since we sometimes get logs sent to us about the script's operation I figured it would be useful to add the version number to the log file.
Whilst I could have set the script to use a variable with the version number in it I decided to create an option to work with the existing comment based format.
If you work with computer aided presentations on Windows, then you probably know PowerPoint has options to show blank screens. Pressing "B" will give you a black screen and "W" will give you a white screen. These are useful options when you want to focus people's attention on what you're saying and away from any slides you might have up. For example if you need to discuss a point for which you don't have a slide or if you want to tease something.
But have you ever considered situations where you are doing something other than a presentation application aided presentation? For example an application demonstration, working though a document, etc. Wouldn't it be great if you could blank your screen on these occasions too? Or maybe you want to blank the screen with a different colour. Well that's what I wanted to be able to do so I put together something to do it.
Over the last few years I've created a number of useful diagrams in Omnigraffle that describe some technical architectures and requirements for some of the software that I work with. Whenever there is a new release I update the diagrams and then export each in turn as an image file. Because of the number of diagrams involved this became a rather laborious process ... so as usual I decided to make things a bit more automated.
Over the years I've been doing technical support I've had quite a few useful VBS scripts that I'd copy over to a user's machine. Then if it necessary, they could be run again at a later date (by remote control or referring the user to it's location and get them to run it). However I quickly tired of manually doing this and dealing with the instances where I'd accidentally copied the script to the user's desktop instead of the location I'd really wanted. As a result I created some extra lines to add into these scripts that would install the script to the desired location and then run it from there. This meant I could run it from a flash or network drive and it would automatically go to the right place - even updating older scripts.
Whilst doing some house keeping on some old VBScript files the other day I came across one for creating test files. I've blogged previously about creating test files using my MTF utility and whilst it or fsutil can be very useful, this script filled a particular niche. It was created as part of a test suite of scripts it creates multiple files of a specific size filled with random printable content.